Monday, April 13, 2015

Six Weeks In 'Bama, One Baptism!

This past week has been an interesting one. I've had pretty bad allergies lately, which I've been trying to combat with oils (thank goodness for oils.) For some reason one ghetto that we go into makes me sneeze almost immediately! So you can imagine how I must look while trying to teach a lesson there on someone's porch, while sneezing and holding a tissue in hand because my nose is running.

We have a couple incredible, ELECT, investigators. It's been amazing to teach them and see that their past beliefs align with our religions beliefs. They were amazed to know that a church that exceeds millions of people believe those same things, because people they know have thought they were weird for those beliefs. Specifically, when we taught them about the Plan of Salvation, and went over questions like, "Where were we before Earth?", "What is my purpose here?", "Where am I going after I die?" What a blessing it is to have answers for those questions.

Our investigator Rachel got baptized this past Saturday! We were so excited. We invited people from our Tuscaloosa ward, and the YSA ward. So many people showed up, and we had to set up more chairs! Both Sister Bailey and I spoke, and she was baptized by Elder Mayer. We had treats afterwards, and all around it went really well. It was my first baptism on my mission! Although, technically number-wise it didn't count as ours, since Rachel got baptized into the YSA ward. But we totally give ourselves the credit!;) Rachel got confirmed the next day, and her blessing was beautiful. She had a Mormon glow, and we are so excited to see what her future has in store.

We got Transfer calls on Saturday. Transfers are every 6 weeks, and you might be transferred to a different area, and get a new companion. Sister Bailey was nervous about it (just because it's exciting to move), but I didn't know what to expect since it was my first time. We suspected that we wouldn't be moved, and our theory was correct. We are both staying here for at least another 6 weeks! Which is such a good thing, because I love the ward here. The people are so great!

Last night we were out trying to contact people. We met one guy who had been baptized into a few different churches! He told us that he was Pentecostal, and he had on a Baptist church shirt, and a necklace with a Christian cross and Free Mason symbols. How that works out, I have no idea. Anyway, we continued up the street (this is just up from our apartments) to a little ghetto. People were outside sitting on their porches, so it's easy to meet people. We were pleasantly surprised to meet one lady who walked up to us and said, "Hi Sisters!" She is a member of two years, (although I don't know how active she is, so we invited her to come to our ward) and we'll definitely go to see her again. Then we talked with a older guy in a wheelchair who was drunk, and that was interesting. Then we met this cute 11 year old girl named Ariana. She was so adorable, and asking us a bunch of questions. We were talking with her, and all of the sudden this guy started walking towards us and he seemed mad and drunk. It made me really nervous at first, but we stood our ground. He had been fighting with some woman (and using some very choice words) and apparently he wanted us to come talk to this woman, I assume to share some Jesus. We didn't talk to the woman though, because from the house she yelled, "No!" And so we continued on our way.  Oh the adventures!

That's what been going on in my past week. I love you all, and I hope things are going well. My challenge for everyone this week is to have meaningful prayer. Address Heavenly Father, share your thoughts, questions, and things your grateful for. Close in the name of Jesus Christ. But make it meaningful by your demeanor. Kneel. Prayer should be reverent, sincere, and not repetitious. You will feel closer to God in this way!
Love you all,
Sister Griffith





 Waiting for the train to pass

 Swag

 Rachel's baptism!

 We went on a UA Stadium tour today!

 On A [missionary] Roll

 Standing by the field (football is a religion here, by the way)

Sister Bailey and I lookin' cool;)

No comments:

Post a Comment